Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Public Health Announcement!!!

SO .... you think you are covered by vaccinations? Don't be so sure. I in fact became a statistic to the Kansas Health Department today... I in fact have Pertussis (Whooping Cough). Symptoms were nothing compared to what I would expect them to be - really just like a cold + my normal "sick" asthma cough (though little relief from rescue asthma meds).

I apparently am contagious 21 days from onset of illness (I think it started about 2 weeks ago, improved, then quickly worsened 1 week ago), but am now considered not contagious after 5 days of super duper antibiotics. Ummm, good thing my last day at work I was wearing gowns and masks all day anyway. WHO KNEW? I even had a DTaP booster 3 years ago (I believe every 10 yrs is recommended).  Of course Evan has a barking cough now too, so we are in solitary confinement for the next who knows how many days until he either gets treated or tests negative (my lab work took 6 days).  We head to the doctor in the morning.

We really are functioning as normal - no bedrest going on here - so I don't share this as a sob story for all the illness in our house, rather as a public health announcement to be aware IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!! God forbid I've come in the path of someone who contracted this from me and isn't strong enough to fight it......

1 comment:

  1. holy moly! I don't think I ever had the DTaP booster - should really get that.

    ReplyDelete